Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Thing 23- Finally!

Overall, I found the Web Challenge to be interesting. Although, being 24 and fresh out of library school, I was aware of many of the included technologies, it did remind me about incorporating these things into my job. I like Web 2.0 because it is fresh. It is up to date and helps us really meet up with the new generation. However, I dislike when organizations use 2.0 technologies where they are not appropriate or practical just for the sake of using them. I don't see this as a problem at OCL- if anything I would like us to be more active. As a YA librarian, there are so many applications, but we are very rigid in what we can do, how, and when. I understand this as someone who was once studying business law (we live in a completely sue-happy society) but I think that being rigid is incongruous with Web 2.0. You need to be constantly up to date and changing with the trends to reach your target users. We need more blogs, more interactivity, more social networking! That is how we will get ourselves really involved with the community as time goes on. My generation will always be online, and we expect all of our services to know this and cater to us. We don't want to make that phone call because we shouldn't have to. It's a totally selfish perspective, but I don't think it's one that will be going away anytime soon! This is what I think Web 3.0 will be- think of a real virtual library- e-books with a shelf-browsing interface (and I mean the full experience, cover art included!). I'm not very imaginative, but we will be living in a more digital world for sure.

As far as what I have shared with others- ListenNJ, LibraryThing, and PBWiki would be my top three.

No comments: