Friday, May 2, 2008

Thing 15- 2.0?

I can't say that I espouse any of those specific views on library 2.0. Primarily, I don't think library 2.0 exists as some separate cause. I think instead that it is a natural progression- the place where libraries are bound to evolve simply through the nature of our service to the community. We should not jump on every bandwagon that comes along in the world of technology, but we need to keep abreast of trends and adapt those that will work for us and use them accordingly. I don't agree that 2.0 will overpower the need for a print collection, and I don't think it will end the library as we know it. I do think it will change the way we work and in the end I strongly feel that this will be beneficial to our communities by making them more information-literate and making information in general much more accessible.

At it's very essence, I don't think that the idea of library 2.0 is any different than what libraries have always done- change with the times. In that sense, I very much agree with Dr. Schultz' take on the topic- this isn't 2.0, this is well beyond that. We adapt with different generations, and I'm sure that each generation prior has had it's nay-sayers who felt that this changes would bring about our end.

1 comment:

Karla Ivarson said...

Nicely put. For if we don't evolve, we face extinction...