Friday, April 18, 2008

Thing 12- NetLibrary

I am very accustomed to NetLibrary, having used it througout my undergraduate and graduate education. That being said, it's a great tool but not always the easiest resource to access! I find the NetLibrary interface very sticky; it tends to hang up on a variety of browser configurations. For instance, on my work PC in my office, it freezes every time without fail. However, it works seamlessly on the reference computer where I currently am. I love the accessibility of the tool and the fact that after an initial registration the books are available anywhere. I have recommended it several times in my three months working for OCL.

2 comments:

OCL Web Things said...

Hi Sam! I'm glad you got another chance to look at NetLibrary for the challenge. I agree with you totally, that NetLibrary is a great resource but it's not always smooth sailing as far as using it.

Did you get a chance to look at WorldCat?

--elizabeth/oclwebthings

Sam the Teen Librarian said...

I completed spaced on adding WorldCat! Oops!

Again, WorldCat is an old standby for me, something that I used consistently throughout my LIS education. I like to use it to try and locate rare books- and this came in handy when I was doing my senior thesis. I find it easy to use, but there are so many options that it may seem very confusing to someone who hasn't used it much.