Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thing 10- Gaming in libraries!

If there is one thing that I am really passionate about, it's gaming in libraries. I guess that's appropriate as a teen librarian! I think gaming in libraries is going to be big as time goes on, and not just for the younger age groups. As games become more and more interactive (like the Wii, but I think it will continue and go much farther than just that) they also become more natural and accessible. Hence the use of the Wii for the senior community to get them active and even rehabilitate some. The Nintendo DS is also great for this- brain traning games have really caught on with the older set and have been proven to help mental agility.

How does this really matter to libraries? Lots of ways! For one, our motto here is building community and games really bring people together. I have teens who will come to any club or event if I break out the video games. Not only does it get them into the library, it helps them to socialize with new people. Additionally, as my generation ages and has children, I really think that we will be more receptive to gaming in libraries and more interested in interacting with peers. Not to mention I know my kids will be exposed to games from a young age in the house and will likely have a particular liking for them!

1 comment:

Karla Ivarson said...

Part of the presentation on serving older patrons that I went to at the NJLA conference focused on Wii games for senior citizens. I'm very exited about planning a Wii for seniors day this summer, using SAIL volunteers to demonstrate and assist!